The Oceanographic Technical Services Group at BIOS seeks an experienced and highly motivated sea-going Marine Science Technician. Reporting to the Oceanographic Technical Services Manager, the successful applicant will possess the desire and ability to work cooperatively with shipboard scientists and have demonstrated experience and ability to provide comprehensive technical support for cutting-edge ocean science aboard ocean-going research vessels.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide comprehensive technical and logistical support for all science related activities aboard the BIOS Research Vessel Atlantic Explorer.
- Assume major responsibilities for seagoing instrumentation and systems.
- Operate, maintain, and repair oceanographic instruments, navigation and communication systems.
- Operate, maintain, and repair shipboard network and data acquisition systems.
- Coordinate calibration and maintenance schedules for instrumentation and equipment.
- Design, construct, and troubleshoot new electronic and mechanical systems and modify existing systems to meet changing needs.
- Repair both mechanical and electrical equipment as needed.
- Oversee cruise mobilization and demobilization efforts.
- Train visiting scientists and junior marine technicians in proper operation of shipboard instruments and systems.
- Serve as liaison between shipboard science party and ship's crew, and provide pleasant customer service and technical support to scientists before, during, and after their cruises.
This position requires spending extended periods at sea, typically 100 to 200 days per year working up to 90 days at a time. This is a progression job requiring new hires to be placed in Level 1, though depending on previous experience new hires may be placed at higher levels. This is a rotational job where ongoing duties are split between multiple technicians.
Interested candidates should email their applications including a cover letter, resume/CV and three references to:
HR Manager, Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS)
17 Biological Station, St. George’s GE01, Bermuda
Closing Date: Open Until Filled