We are now accepting applications for 2017 BIOS Research Internships. All applications will be reviewed after the submission deadlines outlined below.
The Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences offers internship opportunities to both undergraduate, and recent graduate, students. BIOS Research Internships may run for 8, 10 or 12 weeks in the summer, although both timing and duration can be flexible. BIOS interns can expect to work in BIOS laboratories with faculty and staff mentors, participating in active research projects of mutual interest. As a BIOS Research Intern you could have the opportunity to participate in an open-ocean research cruise aboard the R/V Atlantic Explorer, SCUBA dive on Bermuda’s coral reefs, learn progressive techniques from scientists at the forefront of their field, gain hands-on experience with cutting-edge laboratory equipment, and engage in workshops and seminars with peers and BIOS staff.
Benefits of a BIOS Research Internship include:
- The Bermuda platform allows quick access to both shallow reef and deep open-ocean environments, providing exceptional opportunities for either nearshore or offshore research;
- Bermuda enjoys a unique assemblage of readily accessible marine ecosystems and species;
- Access to BIOS’s world-class facilities with modern, well-equipped labs and our fleet of boats, including the R/V Atlantic Explorer;
- Exposure to a wide range of faculty interests and expertise among BIOS’s diverse community of researchers, as well as visiting scientists;
- Participating in pioneering research at the forefront of current knowledge and technology;
- The potential to publish in peer-review journals as a result of BIOS-based research, in collaboration with BIOS faculty and staff;
- Opportunities to collaborate with students from other universities;
- Many BIOS intern alumni have attributed their experiences at BIOS as being a major stepping stone in their career, research advancement and success.
How to Apply for a BIOS Research Internship
Students interested in a BIOS Research Internship should submit an application by the following deadlines:
- Summer Internships (May through August): Students must submit their applications on or before April 1, 2017. Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their applications no later than April 30, 2017.
- Fall Internships (September through December): Students must submit their applications on or before July 1, 2017. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications no later than July 31, 2017.
Applications must include a cover letter, recent transcripts (photocopies of certifiable originals are acceptable, as are web downloads) and an up-to-date CV or résumé. Your cover must clearly state your research interests, the BIOS scientist(s) you would like to work with and why a BIOS Research Internship is important to your education and/or career goals. Applications will be circulated for review and consideration amongst the BIOS scientists whom you have identified in your application. Should your application move forward, you will be asked to provide 2 letters of recommendation from academics familiar with your work.
How to Fund a BIOS Research Internship
Costs normally associated with a BIOS Research Internship include, but are not limited to, on-campus accommodation and meals plus supplies/expenses related to the intern’s research project. Costs will vary depending on the duration of the internship and the nature of the research project. To obtain a budget estimate, personalized for a potential Research Internship at BIOS, please contact BIOS Education.
Applicants for Research Internships are strongly encouraged to secure external sources of funding. Students interested in a Research Internship should investigate funding opportunities through their home institution and external grant opportunities. Generally, BIOS University Programs does not have funds to support Research Interns, although BIOS scientists and/or research programs may have some funding available.
Foreign nationals traveling to Bermuda do not require an entry visa. However, proof of residency or a valid Multi Re-Entry Visa for the USA, UK or Canada may be required for non-US/UK/Canadian citizens, depending upon your country of origin. Please review Immigration Information to check the Bermuda Department of Immigration requirements.
Please contact the BIOS Education Department at email@example.com for additional information.